Jackets belong in every petite woman’s wardrobe because a jacket is a go-to garment for both work and weekend wear. Wearing a jacket is also a great way to hide midriff and tummy bulges. To get the maximum style boost from a jacket, petites should look for the jacket features that work best for short women.
1. Choose single-breasted jackets, rather than double-breasted jackets. Petites don’t need extra bulk in their clothing.
2. Pick a classic jacket with a V-neckline. Classically styled jackets that form a V-neckline when buttoned flatter petites because they make us look taller.
3. Buy fitted or semi-fitted jackets to create flattering, shapely lines. Petites can get lost in loose-fitted or oversized jackets.
4. Make sure jackets fit in the bust. You should be able to button a jacket without any gaping or pulling across the bust line.
5. Wear shorter jackets that end at the high hip and flatter most petites by creating the illusion of longer legs.
6. Wear jackets with long sleeves or at least three quarter length sleeves. Short-sleeved jackets are fairly useless.
7. Select jackets made of smooth, rather than thick, bulky fabric in order to create a longer, leaner line.
8. Create the illusion of a slimmer and taller line by wearing jackets with vertical lines and seaming .
9. Avoid patch pockets, no matter where they’re placed on jackets, to maintain the sleekest line.
10. Maximize wearability and create a leaner, taller look by selecting jackets in solid colors without embellishment. If you love prints, you can always wear a print blouse, dress, or skirt with your jacket. Jackets with subtle neutral designs, such as Glen plaid or pinstripes, will also work for petites.